Friday 10 April 2020

Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green
Gables



Author: L.M Montgomery

Illustrator: Gary Blythe

Age recommendation: 11+

My rating:5/5

Favourite character: Diana Barry

Comments: An all-time classic, Anne of Green Gables is a fireworks display of literature, following an orphan girl who slowly finds her home in the wondrous world of Green Gables.

Main characters: Anne, Marilla Cuthbert, Matthew Cuthbert, Diana Barry.

Synopsis: Young Anne Shirley arrives at Green Gables in the place of an orphan boy and causes all sorts of mischief. But under the facade of her temper lies a clever and kind girl waiting to be unveiled. As times passes, this begins to shine through.

Review: Anne is very blunt and outspoken, which stands out in tucked-away, quiet Avonlea, but soon makes friends. She is very prone to drifting into a silent reverie, and can often be very far away: in the land of her imagination. This book, as the age recommendation states is for older readers, as I believe it is harder to understand some of the vocabulary. When it is set influences on the vocabulary and how people saw issues back then. It may not be suitable for younger book enthusiasts but is good to keep on a bookshelf, waiting! Anne's imagination is as feral as her flyaway red hair. And I am sure Anne would say, 'Couldn't be improved upon by the imagination.' I agree.

Please comment!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great review, one of my favourite books when I was younger! Caroline.

Hamster girl said...

Thanks to Isla, I’ve now remembered that this book was sitting in my bookcase, unread — this book review has definitely helped me to pick it back up again!

Followers